You’ve Got Dreams They’ll Never Take Away!
“Well, I tumble outta bed and stumble to the kitchen
Pour myself a cup of ambition
Yawn and stretch and try to come to life…
Out on the street, the traffic starts jumping
With folks like me on the job from 9 to 5″
Who feels sleepy just reading that? If we’re being honest, most of us do, but don’t worry, Dolly won’t take it personally. The tired facts are IN and it’s time to WAKE UP!
Some Sleep Stats
- In a normal sleep period, a person experiences 4-6 different sleep cycles.
- REM sleep makes up between 20-25% in healthy adults.
- The average time spent dreaming is around 2 hours per healthy sleep cycle.
- The key driver of the body’s internal clock is made up of about 20,000 neurons.
- When we sleep, our body temperature drops 1 to 2 degrees.
- Our circadian rhythm plays a huge role in our over-all wellbeing.
- Our metabolism drops when we sleep, almost 15%.
- Adults between 18 and 75 need 7-9 hours of sleep per night.
- Half of the population claims feeling sleepy during the day and wanting a nap.
- New Jersey and Detroit have the highest percentage of people claiming to get less than 7 hours of sleep per night, while Boulder, CO has the lowest percentage.
Maybe we could all use a little lesson from the folks over in Colorado. We won’t state the obvious about them being the first to legalize a certain plant and that possibly helping with their sleep. LOL! We’re sure it is all due to that clean, fresh mountain air. Big breath in…and now exhale, we are moving onto the relaxation section of today’s blog.
Would You Just Relax A Little?
It is a proven fact that people who learn how to take a minute or two daily to relax their minds, body and soul are happier and healthier. Turning off our minds for a few is harder than it seems and as a result, we are in this sleep deprivation predicament.
Free Your Mind…And the Rest Will Follow.
If you know who made those lyrics popular, we will give you …. well, nothing, but it’s still fun to play.
Relaxation Techniques That Are “En Vogue”
- Sip on some green tea
- Lay your head down.
- Bite on a Bit of Honey
- Slurp a teaspoon of sugar.
- Count Backwards from 100
- Listen to music.
- Take a titch of dark chocolate.
- Close your eyes.
- Give your hands a squeeze.
- Just breathe.
- Creative Visualization
- Chew Gum
- Hug it Out.
- Find the SUNSHINE.
We Can Explain
Instead of seeing red, sip some green tea. Green tea is full of L-theanine, which is used in several homeopathic solutions to reduce anger. Mediation does not have to consist of you sitting crisscross applesauce on top of your desk and humming. For instance, all you really need to do is close your eyes or lay your head down and breathe until you feel the stress leave your body. Trust us, it works.
Remember the old school candy, “Bit of Honey?” We do and we always have a jar full of them because chewing lowers cortisol and honey reduces inflammation in the brain, so it’s like getting a Two-fer. If you can’t track down your own bag of our favorite candy, then it’s ok to simply sip a spoonful of honey, it’ll do the trick. Your doorbell rings, you answer it, and it is Publishers Clearing House letting you know you’ve just WON…now wake up! Creative visualization is just that, a fun little dream come true moment to get your heels kickin again. Last, but not least, you can always find a window or walk outside and just feel the warmth of the sun. If the sun is not out, then we suggest finding a friend (that won’t think you’re weird) and give em a good squeeze. After all, professional huggers are gaining ground, maybe not during a pandemic, but you get the drift!
Why Is It SO HARD to Fall Asleep?
STRESS…ANXIETY…WORRY…Lions, Tigers and Bears…OH MY!
We blame progress, while it can be a good thing, too much of a good thing can be…well, bad! First, we are not saying that we don’t use our phones for everything or wish sometimes we had a jetpack too. Second, we ARE saying it’s all just a little out of control. For instance, we can order practically anything online and receive it within the hour. Or if it is something crazy like a new pet giraffe, heaven forbid, we may have to wait a day or two. We’ve even bought into contraptions that promise to shake the fat away while we just stand there. Although entertaining, shaking it off only works on the dance floor…and for Taylor Swift!
Our Sleep Agents Are Standing By
Progress is inevitable and we realize that is not changing anytime soon, but that does not mean we can’t progress in our own way. Modern medicine has sky-rocketed into the number one spot for, “Who’s Who Among American People,” because we all think we need a quick fix for everything. We’re not saying we don’t believe in all things medicinal, but we DO have a few of our own tricks up our sleeve. Our doctors and pharmacists here at Elite Health Online have come up with some of the best products to help re-program our mind, body, and soul in an effort to achieve a better night’s sleep.
Our Very Own Mr. Sandman
Here is a list of our products that can help anyone achieve a better night’s sleep:
- Meyers Cocktail
Don’t let all those crazy words scare you, we know what they are, and we know what they can do for you. We encourage you to book an online appointment with one of our doctors in order to receive the right combination for your specific needs. Each of our products are specially formulated to reach new heights in health and wellness. Sleep deprivation elimination is first and foremost when trying to become a healthier, happier version of yourself.
Beyond Our Products
We’ve discussed relaxation techniques as well as our products that lead to a better night’s sleep, but we won’t stop there. Almost everything in life boils down to one question, can you guess what it is? We are going to tell you anyway, so stop guessing, everything in life boils down to, “what’s for dinner?” Not a day goes by without most people pondering that exact question, as early as elementary school, children will see mom or dad and immediately ask, “what’s for dinner?” We are going to take it a step further and ask, “what are you eating for breakfast, lunch, dinner and snack time?” YES, what we nosh on by day will affect our z’s by night.
Top Ten Foods That Lead to Better Bedtime
- Salmon (Rich in vitamin B6 which makes melatonin)
- Bananas (high in potassium, tryptophan and magnesium which are natural sedatives)
- Rice (high glycemic index which means it creates a rise in insulin and causes tryptophan to rush in)
- Walnuts and Sunflower Seeds (boosts serotonin level creating a feeling of peace)
- Cherry Juice (Tart cherry juice has high concentrations of melatonin)
- Kiwi (High in Vitamins C and E as well as Potassium, which all lead to a natural sleepy state)
- Milk (It does a body good…because of the calcium)
- Honey (The glucose found in honey is a natural stress-reliever)
- Eggs (Contains Tryptophan)
- Kale (High in calcium which allows sleep hormones to go to work)
Tip of The Day
Hit the road, Jack, but come back! Planning a get away can be the most relaxing thing we can do for ourselves. Knowing we have something to look forward to allows us to take a load off naturally. We’re not saying book a one-way ticket to Hawaii, we just want you to break away from the norm, even if only for a day. Don’t tell your boss but call in sick and drive down to the coast (if you can) or go fishing on a beautiful lake. The key is to plan it, have it to look forward to, then go do it. Just don’t write “sick day” on your calendar, that might raise a few eyebrows. We think you should try to do this a few times a year to ensure a better quality of life and more love for your mattress. Cheers to Eyes Wide Shut!!!