Body Composition Changes and HrT
You work hard, you crush your workouts, and you eat a nutritious diet, but your body composition is still working against you! What gives? We’re here to tell you that it may not be anything that you are doing wrong, but in fact a potential hormonal imbalance that is impeding your success! Worth looking into, right? Let’s check out body compositions changes and HrT in both males and females, and see if we can get you one step closer to achieving your goals!
Let’s kick off our discussion with the guys!
What is HRT for Men?
Hormone replacement therapy for men is certainly a hot topic! There are many reasons why HRT could be worth looking into for men. From depression and night sweats, to excess body fat and inability to gain very much muscle, unbalanced hormones can reek havoc, even for men! Hormone replacement therapy can help a man to boost testosterone levels, reduce the stress hormone cortisol, and potentially remedy many issues related to body composition.
Not only does low testosterone cause a physical decline in the body’s muscle retention and gain, but it also can lower mood, motivation, and drive in men. If you couple those things together, you have a recipe for disaster in the gym and in life! Let’s take a second to picture what might happen to an individual with low testosterone. We’ll call him Joe. Joe is a health-conscious guy who enjoys lifting weights, eating a varied, nutritious diet, and living an elite lifestyle. Suddenly, Joe’s testosterone levels start to drop. What happens to his body composition? With lower testosterone, his muscle gains in the gym start to slow down, and he notices an onset of more abdominal fat. This obviously makes him feel frustrated, since he is still working hard and eating clean. That frustration gets compounded by the loss of motivation that low testosterone levels can cause alone, making Joe want to give up completely. If Joe continues on struggling alone, he will likely get caught in a downward spiral of muscle loss, fat gain, and potentially even depression. Hang on, our story doesn’t stop there! Let’s say Joe seeks help with hormone replacement therapy, or HRT. Suddenly, Joe’s testosterone levels are zooming back up to a healthy, high level. His motivation and drive come back, and he’s crushing it in the gym again. With the help of the ever-important testosterone hormone, he is putting on muscle and shredding fat, which means he is completely changing his body composition! Go, Joe!
Do you relate to that situation? If you are feeling frustrated with your current body composition, or you have other reasons to believe that your hormones may be a bit out of whack and causing you distress, it may be time to jump into the world of hormone replacement therapy!
What Does HRT Do to the Male Body?
For men, the most common HrT revolves around the main male hormone testosterone. Having healthy, high testosterone levels is crucial for men! Here are just three examples of the many things that testosterone helps to maintain in the male body:
- Bone density. This one is so important as we age, as well as for any athletes or serious gym-goers! You definitely don’t want an injury to set you back in your goals, or to keep you from living your life to the fullest. Having low testosterone may decrease your bone density, so we definitely recommend getting your levels checked and consider starting hormone replacement therapy if needed. You can do all of that right here at Elite Health Online! We’re all about continence here!
- Fat distribution. This one can be a key indicator in men who may be candidates for hormone replacement therapy. If you’re tired of putting in the work but not seeing the results, it may be time to check out HrT. A lot of the time, a low testosterone level in men can cause fat gain, particularly around the middle. As we get older, low testosterone is more likely to affect us, which is a reason why weight can creep on after a certain age. If you have more fat than you used to, but you feel like your diet and lifestyle haven’t really changed, low testosterone could be the culprit!
- Muscle strength and muscle mass. Yep, this one’s a biggie! Testosterone plays a key role in muscle gain, and even muscle retention. Low testosterone levels can inhibit your gains, so keeping a high level is critical for those of us who want to see results in the gym!
What is HRT for Women?
Alright, we’ve covered some key facts about HRT for men, so let’s switch gears here and talk about the women! So, what exactly goes into hormone replacement therapy for women?
Women’s hormones are tricky, tricky, tricky! Keeping your hormones balanced as a female requires extreme precision, patients, and some expert help of course. We’ve got you covered there! Women’s hormone levels are prone to change over and over during one’s lifetime. From irregular cycles to pre- and post-menopause symptoms, hormones can cause some crazy things in women! It’s never fun to experience a hormonal imbalance, especially if it goes untreated or even unnoticed. Let’s check out a few signs to be aware of when you may need HRT as a woman!
Does HRT Affect Muscle Mass?
It certainly can! As we discussed, hormones like testosterone are absolutely critical when it comes to building and maintaining muscle mass. If you’re too low on testosterone, no matter how much effort you are putting into the gym, you may not see the results you’re after. That can be a sure fire way to lose motivation, and fast! On the flip side, having a higher level of testosterone means that you will likely see those gains faster than you’d even expect! HRT for muscle growth could be the answer to your gym woes. Talk to our experts today to find out how to get started, and let’s see if we can get you going on your most elite level life yet!
Can Hormone Therapy Change Your Body Shape?
A person’s body shape is determined by many factors. Genetics of course play a role in someone’s body shape, and where the person stores fat, etc. However, genetics are not the only factor here! Stress, lack of sleep, certain underlying conditions or diseases, or even medications can attribute to excess fat storage on the body. With that in mind, lifestyle, including diet and exercise, have a large impact on body shape. If you are unhappy with your body shape, or more specifically, your body composition, there are a few things that you can absolutely do!
- Stress reduction. Stress releases a hormone called cortisol, which actually causes the body to hold onto fat. Try some restorative yoga (YouTube is a great free resource, or check out a local yoga studio!), a guided meditation, stretching, or just taking some deep breaths throughout the day. Our tip is to set an alarm on your phone to go off in the morning, early afternoon, and evening to remind yourself to take at least three slow breaths! This only takes a couple of minutes, but it can greatly lower your overall stress level, and thus your cortisol level. Bonus tip: try to do this outside in the sunshine or among nature whenever possible!
- Eating a balanced diet. A varied diet is inherently the most balanced diet! If we put too many restrictions on ourselves, we might miss out on the emotional satisfaction needed to maintain a healthy diet over time, as well as actual nutrients our body requires. Eating a variety of fruits, vegetables, whole grains, protein sources, and healthy fats can help to not only keep your hormones in check, but also encourage your body to settle at its healthiest weight. If you have specific body goals, you can use your varied diet as a great way to take inventory on how different foods make you feel, so that you can ultimately fuel your body with the most nutritious, satisfying, and energy-providing diet. What does that mean for your workouts? Having the energy to work hard and the macronutrients to recovery properly can power your gains in the gym! Let’s go!
- Stay hydrated! You knew this was coming, right? How could we not include such a crucial tip, even if it’s a predictable one?? As we all know, our bodies are made up of mostly water, so it’s critical for even our most basic survival needs to get an adequate amount. When it comes to changing your body composition, water can be a great tool! You may have heard that your body often confuses thirst with hunger, but actually, there is no scientific evidence of that. Hang on, though, water is still 100% crucial in supporting your body composition goals! Yes, water can temporarily stretch the stomach, giving the sensation of fullness, but that is not what we should be thinking about when it comes to water and dieting. Instead, think of water as replenishing your cells, hydrating your body, and keeping things moving in the digestive system. You don’t want bloat due to dehydration to ruin the appearance of all of your hard work! More importantly, having enough water can drastically change the way you feel, and give you the energy you need to crush your workouts. we can cheers to that! (With our water glasses, of course!)
How Can I Get Hormone Replacement Therapy?
Our Elite Hormone Replacement Therapy is available for you right here at Elite Health online! Fill out our form and speak with an expert now to get going on your HRT journey. We can wait to help you live your most elite life!
Stay strong, warrior!